Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Real Source

... so I was on this BlogTalkRadio show. Not as a host, but as a guest. We were talking about my life and some of the things that impacted my decision to do what I am doing. And during the discussion there was a moment ... that I still think about. It wasn't an embarrassing or profound statement. It was simply a remark that I let pass without comment. Well, actually I did comment. It went something like this "Right ..." You know the kind of "right" where your tone just trails off and you don't really mean anything by it. Just a need to fill the dead-air with some kind of response. "Right ..."

Hmm ... I was thinking about that last night. And again this morning.

And just for the record, I want to clarify where I stand on something.

The host of that show had suggested that "the universe" was looking out for me or providing answers to me, etc. And I simply said, "Right..." I think that I responded that way because I understood the intent of her comment and what people generally mean now-a-days when they say "the universe" brought them to such-and-such a place or moment or person or decision. The universe did it.

See, I am a Christian. I believe God came in the form of man as Jesus Christ. And that through His death, burial, and resurrection and my undeniable faith in Him, I obtain the remission of my sins and eternal life. The Bible is the inerrant Word of God and the only Truth by which I set the guidelines and goal posts of my life with the help of His Spirit. That is what I believe.

Now that you know what I believe, what does that have to do with that comment about the universe? Well, I've been on the planet more than a few years. And I interract with people from a variety of cultures and belief systems. But here is where I need to distinguish myself:

James 1:17 states - Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Matthew 6:9 states - [Jesus speaking] After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

My belief is that the universe brings me nothing.

EVERY good and EVERY perfect gift is from God, my Father. And I'm determined that only He should get the glory. I am concerned about people replacing the word "God" with the "the universe" as if He has become irrelevant. I believe in the Spiritual Law of Sowing and Reaping (Seedtime/Harvest) and the Law of Confession. However, I am no more willing to give glory to the universe for blessing my life than I am to thank the sun for shining. Neither do I try to hold a conversation with the universe. You cannot have a personal relationship with the universe. Right ...

My God created the universe and His glory is seen in it. The universe is not my "higher power" or "source of all good." I will stay connected to God the Most High, my Redeemer and Friend.

I respectfully disagree with those who think differently. I have no hate or harsh words to say against them. This was on my mind and I wanted to share what I am thinking ...

may the God of all Peace reign in your heart by His Spirit today.

Excerpts from a little book I wrote can be found here:
God of the Bible - God of the Church


http://www.BarbaraHoward.net

No comments: