Thursday, December 11, 2008

Focus on Your Strengths

In Now, Discover Your Strengths, Marcus Buckingham encourages us to identify and play to our strengths rather than to eliminate or work on our weaknesses. I think the hardest thing about this approach is actually knowing what we are good at since our tendency as entrepreneurs is to want to be good at everything. Yes being at least competent in most things is a necessary part of the entrepreneurial life, but I’ve realized that we don’t have to be super-human. It may seem obvious, but what I have learned about myself is that I am really good at starting things—having a vision and doing what is absolutely necessary to at least execute on enough of that vision to get it off the ground. Others, however, are better at making my vision beautiful, transforming it into a lovely perfect rainbow that even I could not have foreseen. Recognizing these facts about myself and others is quite freeing and has allowed me to be more open to the world around me and to what each unique being in it has to offer.

Read more: Ladies Who Launch

No comments: